PALITANA – The Root To Jainism, Palitana is a famous major pilgrimage centre for Jains. It is situated in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat. It consists of two peaks covered with shrines and there are around 900 small and big temples present on the two summits. If you are a Jain then you must visit the city full of temples, so here is an insight on Palitana tourism.
About Palitana Tourism
HOW TO REACH PALITANA?
- By Air: There is no airport in Palitana. The nearest airport is Bhavnagar Airport which is 40 km’s away from the city. Another one is Surat Airport which is 118 km away from the city. You can hire a taxi or you can board a bus to the city.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is at shihor which is 31 km away from the city. Another railway station close to Palitana is Bhavnagar which is 40 km away from the city.
- By Bus: Palitana is well connected to other cities from Gujarat as well as from the major cities of the country.
BEST TIME TO VISIT PALITANA
The best time to visit Palitana is in winter season from November to March when the average temperature is around 20°C. The summer months are too hot to visit here. The weather is good in monsoon season but at this time the hills are closed for climbing.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: There is not a wide range of options available here to stay. The hotels here are from budget to standard. The services provided here are good. So many Jain Dharmshala is available here for accommodation but it is for Jains only.
- FOOD: As we know that Palitana is in Gujarat region so the food options are plenty here. You can try the Gujarati thali if you are pure vegetarian.
- ACTIVITIES: You can visit the sweet market here and can go for Kesari shopping. You can go for trekking and visit various temples here.
PLACES TO VISIT IN PALITANA
- Kumarpal Temple
- Vimal shah Temple
- Shatrunjaya Hill Temple
- Vishal Jain Museum
- Jain shrine
- Laxman Dham Temple
EXCURSIONS NEAR PALITANA
- Bhavnagar – 55 kms
- Velavadar – 90 kms
- Rajula – 94 kms
- Hastagiri- 30kms